Thursday, April 30, 2015

Modern Style Elements

My taste in home décor has definitely changed throughout the years and so have the trends.  I still have one bedroom in my house that keeps my antique country pine furniture that I‘ve had since I was a young girl.  However, as I get older, I am finding that my style has become a little more modern and I’m trying to be more of a minimalist – this is a work in progress!

 The architecture of my home certainly doesn’t lend to modern style, but I like to find unique pieces that I can add here or there that give it some contemporary flair.  Adding modern style to your home is actually quite easy.  A good place to start is with the bare bones - paint, wallpaper, floors, texture, and art work.  

If you are lucky enough to live in a beautiful city loft with exposed brick on the walls that’s great!  However, there are many inexpensive products out there now that help you achieve a similar look.  To create your own accent wall, check out these wallpaper products called Wallpops.  Here are some stone samples here and here.  Also, I really like theses styles here and here that are a bit more modern.  It's fun to create an accent wall and you can paint the other walls with a complementary color. I like to keep to the neutral tones such as cream, beige, or grey.  

Lighting in the room is so important.  In addition to well placed LED can lights, choose additional lighting that makes a bold statement and serves a purpose.  I just love the industrial look of this Modo chandelier designed by Jason Miller.  The Modo collection features hand blown glass with slight variances in shape and color which makes each piece unique.  Here is a less expensive option but with a similar style.

Artwork and accessories are probably the most important pieces in modern and contemporary style.  Black and white artwork and accessories can really make a bold statement, especially when combined with a pop of color.  Here are a few decorative pieces that I really love here, here, and here as well as this beautiful black and white Cello artwork by Joseph Knowles, Jr. here and here. Books can also make for great conversation pieces and are accessories on their own.  Since I love fashion, home decor and travel, I choose books related to those topics.  Throw them on a bookshelf on on your coffee table for a great addition to your overall style.  Here are a few of my favorite book suggestions: Culture Chanel, Living in Vogue, and/or Dior - 60th Anniversary

The most expensive pieces in your modern room will be the furniture.  Look for pieces with clean and straight lines.  I really love this cream colored sectional by Serena & Lily which ties into the cream colored chairs in the dining room.  I also love this modern glass top dining table which reflects the light from above very nicely.

Last but not least, don't forget to add soft and interesting textures to your overall modern design.  This can be accomplished with curtains, area rugs, throw pillows, and blankets.  You can check out a few I have selected here, here, and here. 

As with all home decor projects, start small and build on your design over time.  Remember, the biggest impact you can make which is relatively quick to do and inexpensive is dressing the walls with paint or wallpaper.  Make sure whatever you select has purpose, function, or personal meaning to you!  

xoxoxo,
Hayley

Shop all room elements and similar styles below













SHOP:

No comments :